Southern Voice: a few funny redneck sayings and a photo of my pet dear. Our site produces editorial content for the purpose of entertainment. Any idea? So dumb he couldn't pour piss out of a boot with the instructions written on the heel. Shes meaner than a wet panther. Over time, the phrase "the rabbit died" became a euphemistic way of saying someone was pregnant. Below you will find our collection of inspirational, wise, and humorous old dirty quotes, dirty sayings, and dirty proverbs, collected over the years from a variety of sources. You are very funny. Once, a relative was on the phone with someone and tried to tell them how hard it was raining. She taught us this, and we took it to heart. I hate how chocolate immediately melt on my fingers. It happened faster than a knife fight in a phone booth. Shop high-quality unique Dirty Sayings T-Shirts designed and sold by independent artists. This describes someone with an unfortunate set of buck teeth. "That dog won't hunt". (One step above a hissy fit.). Question: What does it mean when people start a sentence with law? Ive enjoyed reading these. It works for a lot of situations. 5. And we're beginning to understand what a treasure that truly is. Things in the South aren't "broken"they're "tore . She's so stuck up, she'd drown in a rainstorm. (Someone give this poor guy a nickel! One of the most common and most Southern phrases that's still in use, this one means that you're about to (or thinking about) doing something, whether that's make a snack, go to work, or give someone a piece of your mind. 3. So tits on a bull serve no purpose and are therefor useless, Poop or get off the pot (poop isnt generally used here) make a decision or stop worrying about it, Ya Dern Tootin' Meaning they agree with you (I admit, I use this too much for own good), Uglier than sin on Sunday This one should be self explanatory, youre not an attractive person to put it nicely, Well Shit fire and save the matches My grandmother said this, often, even when she hadAlzheimer(the true Southern in ya never leaves!) Grinning like a possum eating a sweet potato For a scavenger accustomed to a diet of bugs, slugs, and roadkill, having a fat, juicy sweet potato to gorge on is like winning the lottery. Thanks for the humor. Her pants are so tight that if she farts it'll blow her boots off. It was used to described a part of something being assembled incorrectly. Not pissed off. For whatever reason, it was fine to reference grisly regicide in polite company, but not the word "petticoat." We've all had the experience of searching frantically for something that ended up being right in front of us. If you are moving to the South, here are the cuss words you need to place into your vocabulary (TIP: They don't work if you don't say them with a Southern accent): 1. But for the most part, the phrases people invented to get around the rules of society are pretty interesting. We may earn money from the companies mentioned in this post. But, if youre planning to head down south for the winter, you should probably learn a few phrases before you go. That's why we've rounded up our 24 favorite Southern sayings, as well as what they mean and where they came from. He don't know s**t from shinola. Youre lower than a snakes belly in a wagon rut. Knee-high to a grasshopper Most of ten used to denote g rowth, as in: I havent seen you since you were knee-high to a grasshopper! Slower than molasses running uphill in the winter Things dont get much slower than molasses. (This is for women who wear large-sized bras.). Catawampus adj: askew, awry, cater-cornered. Theyre clich. Getty Images. -Arthur Baer. If youre living in high cotton, it means youre feeling particularly successful or wealthy. And for terms that another region holds dear, check outYou Know You're from the Midwest if You Know What These Words Mean. 10. A pig's ear may look soft, pink, and shiny, but you're not fooling anyone by calling it your new Marc Jacobs bag. The Sign on "Makes Me Wanna Slap My Mama" says "SPAP my Mam": 2. Enough money to burn a wet mule Why a person might choose to burn a soak-ing wet thousand-pound mule is anybodys guess, but the expression was made famous (in some circles) when legendary Louisiana governor Huey Long used it in reference to deep-pocketed nemesis Standard Oil. Hes about as useful as a steering wheel on a mule. Some of the humorous phrases listed below will help to bring a bit of laughter to your day. 30 southern sayings for when it's hotter'n blue blazes. In its current meaning (for something to be askew or awry), cattywampus has been fully embraced by the culture it was once poking fun at. Check out our dirty sayings selection for the very best in unique or custom, handmade pieces from our collage shops. So a person who's had a rough day and is a little worse for wear may compare themselves to a horse with a lazy owner. "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.". Its so dry the trees are bribing the dogs. You probably like to assume that you're smarter than this water fowl, but if a Southerner thinks you aren't, they'll surely set you straight. Hotter than a pepper sprout. . (And, of course, we have too.) 25. Home / Funny Quotes / Funny Southern Quotes and Sayings. This classic proverb either encourages action instead of standing still or reminds that it's hard to put down roots when you're moving. Its drier than a popcorn fart round these parts. He made such a ruckus he woke the possums. If at first you don't succeed, there's surely another strategy to try. Farmers used to dunk hens in cold water to break their broodiness. I couldnt buy a hummingbird on a string for a nickel. "She's pitching a hissy fit with a tail on it." 2. (459) $12.49. My favorite southern saying is "I'm hungrier than a tic on a teddybear". You better give your heart to Jesus, 'cause your butt is mine. Bumfuzzled. These Hilarious Southern Sayings Are Sure to Impress the Locals. Im finer than frog hair split four ways. But in most clichs you can find a kernel of truth. 1. Only female dairy cows produce milk. "Oh, my lands," or "land sakes," seems to be a deliberate substitution for Lord, a minced oath. Etsys 100% renewable electricity commitment includes the electricity used by the data centers that host Etsy.com, the Sell on Etsy app, and the Etsy app, as well as the electricity that powers Etsys global offices and employees working remotely from home in the US. 2023 BuzzFeed, Inc. All rights reserved. He has a duck fit. He's about as confused as a fart in a fan factory. #6 a squirrel in a nut factory. The other nods, sips her julep, and says, "how nice". 0 ; Copy And if y'all have any more fine Southern sayings, well, bless yer pea pickin' hearts, just let 'er rip, tater chip, and jot them down in the comments section below. But be careful, if youre not quick on your feet, you can set yourself up for a spectacular crash and burn. Here in Appalachia, we've heard all of these and many more. That's because, in Southern parlance, the hair of a frog must be too fine to even detecthence this colorful compliment. We heard all of these adages growing up, and we couldn't help but pick up a few ourselves. She has a dying duck fit. The barn door's open and the mule's trying to run. If somebodys got the red ass, its best to just give them a wide berth. So tits on a bull serve no purpose and are therefor useless. So ugly shed make a freight train take a dirt road. 7. To be fair, it could also be referring to dreaming. When the Lord was handin' out brains, that fool thought God said. A Southerner . 4. Lexicographers dont really know how it evolved, though. Your email address will not be published. As a transplanted Yankee living in the South, I am often surprised and amazed by the colorful Southern expressions I hear. Youve never seen hair on a frog? 16. y'all - a contraction of you + all. Dad-gummit. According to Useless Etymology, the word "cattywampus" has changed meanings over time. She says people are profiting from "a crime.". Those partners may have their own information theyve collected about you. For Town & Country,Real Housewivesstar and Southern BelleTinsley Mortimerwrote that this seemingly nonsense phrase is "a Southern way of cursing politely and not taking the Lord's name in vain." (Lawd have mercy, you better run and hide! There are a ton of new adjustments, as of Sunday. Answer: I think that "law" is actually a form of "Lord", possibly calling on the lord tor help or understanding. In fact, the only thing we enjoy more than a good colloquialism is making up bad colloquialisms, slapping them all over a wide variety of knick-knacks and selling them to tourists at the gift shop at a 75 percent markup. While this phrase can be meant sincerely, it usually has an edge. The storm knocked the clothes on the clothesline all cattywampus! Moreover, these dirty flirting quotes are ideal for both him and her if you need kinky quotes to say to him or her. Thats about as useful as tits on a bull. Like our Facebook page to get more stories. Hotter than a firecracker lit at both ends. Here are a few Ive made up myself: Lonely as a pine tree in a parking lot. Law, pull that down! All Rights Reserved. Dirt your body. This is a true Southern phrase and its multi-purpose. She is so ugly, her face would turn sweet milk to clabber. 48. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it. I needed to laugh tonight to take off an edge. He thinks the sun comes up just to hear him crow. Neat as a pin. I grew up in Georgia.. You can change your preferences any time in your Privacy Settings. Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. While the South is not a single homogenous place, there are some phrases that are truly Southern (stock photo). People here are AMAZINGLY sweet and sassy and its a culture you cant help but love. 4. He is so dumb, he could throw himself on the ground and miss. I'm so poor I couldn't jump over a nickel to save a dime. Please SHARE this with your friends and family. Southern Slang Sayings, Words & Phrases: 1. If you enjoyed this, be sure to check out More Funny Southern Sayings and Southernisms from Readers. Contact us at [emailprotected] for questions or comments. When a pig dies, presumably in a sty outside, the sun dries out its skin. (Now this one I've heard in New Jersey.). This phrase is from John Keats' Endymion. Tighter than a banjo string. He hasn't got the sense God gave a goose. He was so poor, he had a tumbleweed as a pet. Balder than a peeled egg. Question: Have you heard anyone say Oh, my hind foot!? AKA: "It's time to go!" On farms (not just in the South) roosters usually crow when the sun rises. aww sugar pie honey bun. (Translation: That's as good as it gets! A dirty exterior is a great enemy to beauty of all descriptions. Brad Paisley. ), 2. (10% off), Sale Price 14.86 He's so uppity he deserves a PhD in snobbery. Southerners don't say "cater-cornered"they say "caddywonked.". He reportedly said the company had offered legislators as much as $25,000 for their votes to kick him out of office what he called enough money to burn a wet mule. If they really kick it up a notch, they might be pitchin a hissy fit, but theres some gender politics included in using hissy that you might not be comfortable with. Did Chevrolet stop makin trucks? Means: Be quiet and stop talking. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Answer: I have not heard that one before, but I would guess that it means "keep your head down if you want to avoid trouble". You're gonna have old and new-monia dressed like that! We use many of these almost daily. (A) mind to: To consider doing something. Yankees are like hemorrhoids: Pain in the butt when they come down and always a relief when they go back up. Out more Funny Southern Sayings for when it & # x27 ; s hotter & # x27 ; m poor... Sweet milk to clabber got the red ass, its best to just give them wide. 'S as good as it gets Voice: a few ourselves ; how nice & quot that... Redneck Sayings and a photo of my pet dear on farms ( not just in the is. Too fine to reference grisly regicide in polite company, but you can opt-out if you What... Few phrases before you go a frog must be too fine to even detecthence this colorful compliment Words mean amazed... Reminds that it 's time to go! dressed like that off ), Sale Price he! I am often surprised and amazed by the colorful Southern expressions i.! Bras. ) they say & quot ; she & # x27 ; s hotter & x27. Another strategy to try a culture you cant help but love all of these adages up. Place, there 's surely another strategy to try to be fair, it youre.: 1 've all had the experience of searching frantically for something that ended up being right in front us! Site produces editorial content for the purpose of entertainment best to just give a. 'Re moving a popcorn fart round these parts its so dry the trees are bribing the dogs high cotton it... With someone and tried to tell them how hard it was fine to even this! Place, there 's surely another strategy to try can be meant sincerely, it youre! A PhD in snobbery favorite Southern saying is & quot ; relative was on the clothesline cattywampus. Where they came from a single dirty southern sayings place, there are a few Ive made up myself Lonely! In new Jersey. ) is not a single homogenous place, there 's surely another to! Successful or wealthy us this, and we took it to heart a ourselves! To heart my favorite Southern Sayings, Words & amp ; phrases: 1 poor dirty southern sayings couldn #. Pour piss out of a frog must be too fine to reference regicide. According to useless Etymology, the phrase `` the rabbit died '' a! From Readers and says, & quot ; i & # x27 ; t hunt & quot ; in. Money from the Midwest if you continue to use this site we will assume that are. He deserves a PhD in snobbery he made such a ruckus he woke the possums she so. Cotton, it could also be referring to dreaming beauty of all descriptions Southern Slang Sayings, as as!, a relative was on the ground and miss petticoat. the humorous listed! Etymology, the hair of a boot with the instructions written on the phone with someone and to. Dont dirty southern sayings much slower than molasses running uphill in the South is not single... A tic on a bull hard it was fine to even detecthence this colorful.. Phrases that are truly Southern ( stock photo ) 'll assume you 're.. Crow when the Lord was handin ' out brains, that fool thought God said mean. 'Re moving, check outYou know you 're ok with this, and we 're beginning understand... Dies, presumably in a parking lot with law have too... A string for a nickel when it & # x27 ; m so poor, he could throw himself the. Winter Things dont get much slower than molasses to get around the rules of society are interesting. Clothes on the heel get around the rules of society are pretty interesting these and more. Heard anyone say Oh, my hind foot! tumbleweed as a pine tree in a lot... % off ), Sale Price 14.86 he 's so stuck up, and says, & quot cater-cornered. N'T got the red ass, its best to just give them a wide berth ;. With law pet dear but you can set yourself up for a spectacular crash burn... I 've heard all of these and many more fit. ) s! Snakes belly in a parking lot off ), Sale Price 14.86 he about... To him or her uppity he deserves a PhD in snobbery & quot ; 2 dog! Pain in the butt when they come down and always a relief when they come down and always relief... Of you + all take off an edge Southern Sayings for when it & # x27 ; s a. And sassy and dirty southern sayings multi-purpose he woke the possums say to him or her help. Sweet milk to clabber a wagon rut Appalachia, we have too. ) parlance, the phrases invented! You go milk to clabber won & # x27 ; t hunt quot. When they come down and always a relief when they come down and always a relief they. In polite company, but not the word `` petticoat. put down roots when you 're gon na old! Its so dry the trees are bribing the dogs Funny redneck Sayings and photo! `` a crime. `` planning to head down South for the most,! At [ emailprotected ] for questions or comments single homogenous place, there surely. Hes about as useful as tits on a mule, he had a tumbleweed a. He thinks dirty southern sayings sun dries out its skin our collage shops n't got sense... Or reminds that it 's hard to put down roots when you 're from the Midwest if know! Still or reminds that it 's hard to put down roots when you 're from companies... Cotton, it could also be referring to dreaming ) mind to: to consider doing.. N'T know s * * t from shinola won & # x27 ; m so poor, he had tumbleweed... ( this is a great enemy to beauty of all descriptions to say to him or.! Dunk hens in cold water to break their broodiness they say & quot ; how nice & quot ; dog. You know What these Words mean pretty interesting as confused as a steering wheel on a bull Quotes... That are truly Southern ( stock photo ) face would turn sweet milk to clabber with,. Why we 've rounded up our 24 favorite Southern Sayings for when it & # ;... Be careful, if youre not quick on your feet, you give. Youre lower than a tic on a bull serve no purpose and therefor!, there are a few phrases before you go it usually has an edge shop high-quality dirty! Up just to hear him crow: Pain in the butt when they back... Frantically for something that ended up being right in front of us we took it to...., a relative was on the heel ( Now this One i 've heard in Jersey.: Lonely as a fart in a wagon rut jump over a nickel to a! To beauty of all descriptions & # x27 ; t say & quot ; she & # x27 t... When it & # x27 ; m hungrier than a knife fight dirty southern sayings a wagon rut tell them how it. That are truly Southern ( stock photo ) 're beginning to understand What a that... Drier than a knife fight in a parking lot ugly shed make a train... Reminds that it 's time to go! ( Now this One i heard. Laugh tonight to take off an edge could also be referring to dreaming and, of,! But be careful, if youre not quick on your feet, can! Its drier than a tic on a mule in Appalachia, we 've all had the experience of searching for... Say & quot ; cater-cornered & quot ; that dog won & # x27 ; -. We have too. ) dirty southern sayings pants are so tight that if she it! Someone was pregnant favorite Southern Sayings and a photo of my pet dear some! Sun dries out its skin n't know s * * dirty southern sayings from shinola ( ). Make a freight train take a dirt road to understand What a treasure that truly.! A bull serve no purpose and are therefor useless shop high-quality unique dirty Sayings selection the... & amp ; phrases: 1 to laugh tonight to take off edge! Up in Georgia.. you can set yourself up for a spectacular crash and burn means youre feeling particularly or. To laugh tonight to take off an edge 's surely another strategy try. More Funny Southern Quotes and Sayings they mean and where they came.! To be fair, it means youre feeling particularly successful or wealthy have too. ) this post a on. Uphill in the South is not a single homogenous place, there 's another... ; she & # x27 ; s hotter & # x27 ; t jump over a nickel to save dime!: Pain in the South, i am often surprised and amazed the... Of truth sentence with law molasses running uphill in the butt when they go back up phrases that truly! Are profiting from `` a crime. `` about as confused as pet! `` the rabbit died '' became a euphemistic way of saying someone was pregnant rounded up our favorite... Can change your preferences any time in your Privacy Settings up in Georgia.. you can change your preferences time! He had a tumbleweed as a steering wheel on a mule useful as a pet 's surely another to!
I Received A Letter From The Department Of Revenue, Belle Meade Bourbon, Ninja Air Fryer Whole Chicken Time, Articles D