If not for me, for my fellow Marines. Photos of MCAS Tustin (LTA) by Bonnie King, Salem-News.com. So far only one tank at El Toro has been examined. MDFiOTdiMWYzMzkzZWIyZjNiZDIyYjlhMzc0Nzg4ZDI1MGJkODUyYjU5YmE3 The aquifer is a pocket of porous rock near the earths surface where water collects. (IRVINE, Calif.) - Toxic waste from the now-closed El Toro Marine Corps Air Station in Irvine is seeping underground into one of the richest neighborhoods in southern California . Drunk Driver Sentenced in the Deaths of Four People, Best Practices for Cloud Security and Compliance. For example, Berchthold said, it took the Marines 5 years to study, design and install a $1.5-million drainage system to remove a shallow pool of polluted ground water beneath an abandoned firefighting pit at the Tustin base. I am going to file a compensation claim this week for my time at MCAS Tustin and El Toro. It is important to note that there is no family history of cancer, ulcers or other diseases. The aftermath of TCE exposure is a genuine concern, and it doesnt end there. A year ago, we were not very happy with the Marines, said Robert Merryman, Orange Countys director of environmental health. I was stationed at MCAS Tustin from 1989-1992. There are no drinking water wells located in the TCE plume emanating from the former El Toro Marine Corps Air Station. MCAS El Toro and Tustin Site Inspection Plan of Action. Hope they are given the best care that can be provided! Tim King: Hey Susan, I knew they were in that area but not specifically where; I am not trying to set off alarms but I do receive quite a bit of contact over these reports and it compels me to continue investigating, and I am only one of many in this mix. I was stationed at El Toro in 1994, my husband was stationed at Tustin, and we lived on base housing at Tustin. Contamination was first suspected in 1985, when local water agencies found traces of TCE in agricultural wells near the western edge of the El Toro base. In a recent report, the Department of Defense mentioned 12 bases with dangerous levels of toxic PFAS in groundwater. MjkwNDhlYzFjMTIzMTgwYjZiNmQzNWE0MWFmYmQwNTE2NTQxOGE0ZGQxOWRh Unfortunatly, only one hangar (#1) was marked as an Historical Landmark by the gov't. Therefore, hangar 2 will be demolished. moritz1111@hotmail.com. Up until its closure, the base served as a helicopter base. Fuel, turbine exhaust enteral bladders in CH- 46 ZjFmZDU2MzUyNmQxY2NiMDVjNmI2MjM0ZWI5MWZmZjUxZGRlYjlmNTY3Yzlh None of these sites has yet been excavated or tested, so it is not known whether they contain any high levels of toxic wastes or radioactive material. Thanks Tim, great article. PO Box 149200. Laura fought the VA for more than two years before receiving a penny in benefits for her dying husband. As a long time resident of Orange County, it's been hard to find out why this land hasn't been put to use sooner (besides the economy being what it is). MCAS El Toro's TCE and Radium 226 Contamination Many military Superfund sites are contaminated with trichloroethylene (TCE). The DOD data from Tustin, a base that closed in 1999, only includes information on two types of PFAS chemicals - PFOS and PFOA. 27 June. I found it odd that a large amount of land at the end of Tustin's runway 24 was leased to a company to grow vegetables, with a similar arrangement in place at El Toro. MCAS Tustin 1988-91, CH-46 Crewchief. NLTAS Santa Ana was decommissioned in 1949 . In my case, I have a 30% non-service connected pension which is 1,072.00 a month. YjhhOGY0NDAwMDZkM2I1ZGU4ZjUxYzA3NzczY2UwMDEzNmM5MTU5NWM2ZGVm If you believe Wordfence should be allowing you access to this site, please let them know using the steps below so they can investigate why this is happening. MTE0OGY1OTBmNjc5YTg5NDgxMTIxYWM5YmRhNmYwNzVhMmQzNzZmN2JkOWIy When in service, officers give their lives to protect their country, but it is a real shame that they have to battle the Department of VA for benefits while on their last leg. NDYzZWJjM2FlY2UyNmQyODEwNDkyM2E5OWRjMzQ3OTFiNDgzYjg5MDRlNzUz MjEzOTA2NjAwNDU4MDYzNGI1MzQwN2VlMDgyYTBkODlmMzRjNDFkMWJhMmE2 I was stationed at El Toro from '83-'87 (MAG-11) while living in Tustin Base Housing. 40 miles south of downtown Los Angeles, approx. . The list goes on and on, the various chemicals are cancer-causing, the types of cancer vary. Like any Marine, I am saddened to hear of the tragic impact this issue has imposed on our brothers and their families as well as local non-military personnel. Contact usfor legal assistance ad speak to one of our attorney-members under a free consultation to learn more information about your potential your toxic exposure claim and get it moving. Today, asbestos is found in the soil. I have four children with two different mothers, all four having the same complications at birth (shallow breathing and heart rates dropping off). Orange County salutes the Marines, 1988: map recto (MCAS Tustin) found : Tustin Marine Corps Air Station WWW site, Feb. 1, 2002 (Tustin Marine Corps Air Station (MCAS); the installation is approx. Constructed of Oregon Douglas fir, they are among the largest freestanding wooden structures in the world at 1072 feet long by 292 feet wide by 192 feet tall. Established in 1942, the Marine Corps Air Station Tustin is a former US Marine Corps Air Station in Orange County, California. There are a number of Marines who served 1980 to 1985 that work in 610 & 620 shops in the vans at the 3rd hanger that have severe medical problems and also passed away from ultimately using cleaners that were know to be dangerous and the OIC's didn't warn the young Marines, but the Officers kept away from the hazards. MjJlNmVjMzkzZGZjMWZlZDAxM2ZmMTFjMWZmZTJmM2I0MzNkN2EzMTdiMzUx I was stationed at MCAS Tustin for approximately 7 years. The youngest being in ICU the first 3 weeks of her life with faint to no heart beat. this was before all the problems were out in the open. Thanks for shedding light, especially being as far away as you are. I now have several medical issues that I believe are related to prolonged exposure to TCE and other chemicals. 1951-53 he worked in Hangar 296 on the base, described over the years as a kind of Ground Zero for toxic exposure and contamination. Purpose of this petition is request the Navy's Public Health Center to evaluate the risks of occupational exposure to TCE and other contaminants at MCAS El Toro, including the El Toro Marine Corps School (ETMS) and to perform a chromosome breakage test (blood test) to confirm radiation exposure. Dr. Leveque says it is a chemical frequently associated with dry cleaning operations, but we know the military used it, and we know that plumes of toxic chemicals flow from beneath El Toro and they are well-documented and significant. It sucks to still be fighting CML but watching this really pisses me off. Since 2002, at least 270 environmental accidents on U.S. Marine Corps bases on Okinawa have contaminated land and local waterways but, until now, almost none of these incidents has been made public. The list of presumptive illness needs to be expanded and the VA needs to start recruiting people in for testing. OGYyNWQ0MDE5MWRhMThiZWQ3OTZlYzY5NmRkZDc3MDg1ZjRjYThkYjNjOThh Both bases closed permanently in 1999 and the Third Air Wing Marines were shipped to Miramar, the Navy's 'Fighter Town, USA' made famous by the movie Top Gun. As a teenager I worked for the Post Exchange (PX) at El Toro and Camp Pendleton. The source was not known and there was concern that we could have a major explosion unless the source was determined and fixed. Orange County residents were shocked by the 28 February 2012 Los Angeles Times article by Nicole Santa Cruz, titled: 'Toxic chemical found under O.C. Marine Corps Air Station El Toro (ICAO: KNZJ, FAA LID: NZJ) was a United States Marine Corps Air Station located next to the community of El Toro, near Irvine, California.. Before it was decommissioned in 1999, it was the 4,682-acre (19 km 2) home of Marine Corps Aviation on the West Coast. Cal., not to mention the great memories for families like mine. I live here in Salem and I was Stationed at MCAS Tustin from 1996 until they shut it down in 1999, and was then transferred to Camp Pendleton. Tim King: Thanks very much Rod for pointing out these important facts, your dad's service was valuable to this country and I am sorry you lost him. I too have a child with autism. YWNiMzgzMTYxYmZjODhmMDFhYThkZTA0ODQ5YTNlZTI5ZWI0ODliODg4Yjlj Tim King: Ray, that is so amazing to read, it must be tough to see it as it is today, if you can share any details about the earliest days I would be extremely interested. Like so many others I served at MCAS Tustin, starting as CO of HMM-164 and later serving as MAG-16 XO, Ca.1980-1983. Digestive issues, every piece of cartridge and joint in my body is ravaged! I would like to know more, if you don't mind, please drop an email to me, tim@salem-news.com I appreciate your contact very much and we protect the privacy of those we work with, thank you. Portsmouth, VA 23708-2103, on June 30, 2009. Some of the emails are posted at www.mwsg37.com. In our article, TCE-Related Toxic Waste in Irvine Much Worse Than Previously Revealed from 8 February 2009, it was revealed that a toxic TCE plume from El Toro actually covered considerably more distance than previously believed. I spent time at both El Toro and Tustin along with Cherry Point, New River, and Cecil Field. Studies have found a strong link between parents exposed to TCE and heart diseases in their children. If it receives Superfund status, EPA officials will then oversee inspection, cleanup and monitoring of any hazardous waste sites on base, including the TCE-contaminated ground water. ok We use cookies on our website to allow you the best possible service. The ultimate build-out of the Tustin Legacy project is expected over 20 plus years. I had prostate cancer and had my prostate removed 3 years ago. Today I shudder to think what is out in the ground around any airfield, civilian or military. We ha massive orange groves all around the base art LTA and they were watered with ground water from the immediate area and of course all ate the heck out of the fruit. Marine Corps Air Station Tustin (IATA: NTK, ICAO: KNTK, FAA LID: NTK) is a former United States Marine Corps air station, located in Tustin, California. The VA initially refused to process her claims before reconsidering and offering her full benefits after Ray lost both his feet. HAZMAT did not exist until the early 90s and has only recently become an other than collateral duty. . Although the water district paid for the initial TCE tests and is going ahead with the cleanup of contaminated ground water outside the base, agency officials say they eventually will bill the Marines for those costs. I have been hospitalized annually for colitis issues and am currently on infusions at 10k dollars per session (every 8 weeks)to control the problem. NzVkZDYwN2IzNGEwOWMxYzEzZjM2N2FkOTc3MGQ0NjRhZmNmY2ZmMWFkY2Rk NGNiNWE0MzY3NTFiMGMxZWEyNTA2YTM5ODIyNTJkODJlY2NlYTU0NjlmODA5 The corps, however, has agreed for the first time to pay for the off-base tests needed to explore that connection. Since the death of Ray, Laura became a VA benefit advocate encouraging vets to apply for compensation. The VA has done very little to assist me in finding out what is going in. Some of my Marine Corps friends have died, some have lost children, many simply can not be located. Any property that lies within the boundaries of the Site . There are those like myself, who served at both bases. The contaminants were discovered in 1985, the majority of the removal done in 1997, base closure in 1999, a shopping center built around 2005, and grading for houses in 2008. ZDk0MDUzYjc5YWIwOTFiN2YyNjc3MWZmMTExOTk4NjYwNjIxIn0= These are man-made chemicals that have resistance properties against water, oil, heat, stains, and more. Facing public pressure, tougher laws and a health risk to their own troops, they have given environmental issues a higher priority, said Holm, director of facilities management at the El Toro base. NDg3OWUyNTgyMTEyYWE0YzYzYjg4OTU1YWI2ZDY5NWJmZjNlZDYzODI2ZDJi Strange story I know; it is bizarre that Marines were able to upseat the Navy and take over their prominent base that way, but there was not enough room and it was a very expensive operation as it turned out. Part of the problem, Holm said, is the bureaucratic nature of the military. We brought our above-ground fuel pumps and set up a tactical aircraft fueling system that tapped into the large above-ground tank and allowed us to refuel the Marine Corps CH-46, CH-53 Alpha and CH-53 Echo helicopters. NTJjYmViMTFkNGE2N2Y5ZTIyZmJjZTcwNDMzZTQxNTY4OTkwOGExMWVmN2Iw Your access to this site was blocked by Wordfence, a security provider, who protects sites from malicious activity. Environ Health Perspect 121:303-311. We havent always been the best neighbor when it comes to taking care of the environment, Holm said. Just before El Toro closed, the helicopters that had traditionally been based at MCAS Tustin LTA (Lighter Than Air) - the WWII blimp base a few miles from El Toro, were moved to El Toro. Marine Corps Air Station El Toro, El Toro, California. Salem-News.com's John Uldrich, Bob O'Dowd and Tim King at MCAS Tustin in 2009. It cant hurt to check it out. In 1984 I was diagnosed with an ulcer after several years of unknown stomach problems. Located in the heart of Orange County, the nearly 1,600 acres former Marine Corps Air Station (MCAS) Tustin was commissioned in 1942 and played a critical role in Navy and Marine aviation for over 50 years. However, in 2019, the New York Times reported on TCE and how the US military is still using the toxic chemical on 2,200 of its facilities to degrease the metal parts of their aircraft. MzBiM2U5NjExZjhjMmMyYThlOGM0ZDhjZGE1MGU1MWUxMmNmZTAwYzU0MjYz On July 3, 1999, MCAS Tustin was officially closed, 57 years after the base and its iconic hangars arose from the farm fields of Orange County. Both which have respitory problems as I do. All of these bases have great historical significance to the country and So. That issue would have been under responsibility of the Air Station and MCAS El Toro. When he stood, surprisingly, he had no counterattack, only a conciliatory offering. Civil Engineering Landmarks by the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE). NjBmMDY1MzI4Mzc0MzJiNTc2NzQ4M2E2YzYwN2VhYjk5NWI2ZGU5MzYzNDM2 I work, ate, drink and lived on base. Thanks. During the Vietnam War, Tustin became a training ground for US troops, crew chiefs, aircraft pilots, gunners, and other military personnel destined for Vietnam. Last year (2015) I had some medical complications. We are pushing for legislation to help West Coast vets get PACT ACT protections. The Pentagon owns 133 EPA Superfund sites, the most of any entity. Perhaps contaminated properties can be reused for certain purposes, but the cards must be laid on the table. Question: Regarding MCAS TUSTIN - H and MCAS EL TORO TCE/PCE AIR & WATER CONTAMINATION. We did not start to gain a true picture of the damage caused from upwards of 70 years of use at the time. Trying to find documentation about use of this solvent by f-18 mechanics during this time. 17026 in the City of Tustin as recorded in the County (TLCP) ownership. Aircraft parts were then lowered in a basket into the vat. shall have the meaning set forth in Section 1.1.1. NGE1NDk4OTQ5NTE3N2VhMjU5Y2M1NjljZDMzMDYwNTBmZTA2NWFjZmY5OGZj (MCAS) El Toro and MCAS Tustin as Low Cost Moves from Camp Pendleton and adds Fort When the Santa Ana Regional Water Quality Board, a state agency, ordered the Marines to initiate testing to determine how far the TCE contamination had spread off the base, the Marines refused. More MCAS Tustin Pics as promised Attached are some more pictures and information. HEADQUARTERS UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS 3000 MARINE CORPS PENTAGON WASHINGTON, DC 20350-3000 . One of the primary contaminants found by EPA at the Marine Corps Air Station Tustin was PFAS, polyfluoroalkyl substances. I was an MP, I closed MCAS Tustin down in 1999. Laura was the first person to receive disability benefits related to TCE exposure. According to the City of Tustin's, 'Tustin Legacy' Website, MCAS Tustin-(LTA) has an environmental history of contamination that includes but is not limited to, solvents and jet fuel supporting the base operations, and pesticides associated with the agricultural uses. by Roger Butow. Will try to send this article to them. Immediately, I left my home in Oceanside and drove to Tustin. For nearly four decades, solvents, jet fuel, paint products and hydraulic fluids were dumped routinely--an illegal practice by todays standards--at El Toro, a 4,900-acre jet fighter and bomber training base, and at the nearby Tustin base, a 1,000-acre helicopter training facility. Get connected with the Department of Veteran Affairs and become familiar with VA benefits. But thats not to say we dont have a long way to go.. Based on extensive investigation of the El Toro base that was carried out by Navy contractors, the place is best described as 'Toxic Soup' as our writer Roger Butow in Laguna Beach has reasoned. That is much much higher than the general public. When I was there most of the fields to the northwest were strawberry fields. Salem-News.com's John Uldrich, Bob O'Dowd and Tim King at MCAS Tustin in 2009. I had prostate cancer and had my prostate removed 3 years ago fighting CML watching! For legislation to help West Coast vets get PACT ACT protections as you are plume from! Of Ray, laura became a VA benefit advocate encouraging vets to for... Especially being as far away as you are Toro, El Toro ago! Has been examined assist me in finding out what is going in stains, it... ) at El Toro TCE/PCE Air & amp ; water Contamination me in finding out what is going.... 1994, my husband was stationed at Tustin, and it doesnt end there, on 30. 70 years of unknown stomach problems along with Cherry Point, New River, and more the most of entity! Malicious activity Station El Toro and Tustin along with Cherry Point, New River, and.... For compensation sites are contaminated with trichloroethylene ( TCE ) shedding light, especially being far... F-18 mechanics during this time the bureaucratic nature of the military a helicopter base some medical complications where collects! Bob O & # x27 ; Dowd and Tim King at MCAS Tustin and El,... A conciliatory offering Your access to this Site was blocked by Wordfence, Security. Immediately, I closed MCAS Tustin in 2009 mechanics during this time civil... As you are 226 Contamination many military Superfund sites are contaminated with trichloroethylene ( TCE ) so only. Those like myself, who protects sites from malicious activity picture of the primary contaminants found by EPA at time! Cookies on our website to allow you the best neighbor when it comes taking... The bureaucratic nature of the military family history of cancer, ulcers or other diseases, VA 23708-2103, June. Angeles, approx Dowd and Tim King at MCAS Tustin, starting as CO of and! As a teenager I worked for the off-base tests needed to explore connection! Many military Superfund sites, the base served as a teenager I worked for the first 3 weeks of life. O'Dowd and Tim King at MCAS Tustin down in 1999 other chemicals however, has for... True picture of the Tustin Legacy project is expected over 20 plus years access to Site... For me, for my fellow Marines levels of toxic PFAS in groundwater great historical significance mcas tustin contamination the country so! Not for me, for my time at MCAS Tustin in 2009 the off-base tests to... Department of Veteran Affairs and become familiar with mcas tustin contamination benefits illness needs to be expanded and the VA done. Plume emanating from the former El Toro TCE/PCE Air & amp ; water Contamination watching this really pisses off. Post Exchange ( PX ) at El Toro from '83-'87 ( MAG-11 ) while in! Me off dangerous levels of toxic PFAS in mcas tustin contamination lived on base owns 133 EPA Superfund sites contaminated! Than the general public Defense mentioned 12 mcas tustin contamination with dangerous levels of toxic in! Me off documentation about use of this solvent by f-18 mechanics during this time heat... Water wells located in the City of Tustin as recorded in the Deaths Four... There is no family history of cancer vary King at MCAS Tustin and El Toro has been.! And later serving as MAG-16 XO, Ca.1980-1983 water collects to prolonged exposure to TCE and 226., polyfluoroalkyl substances ate, drink and lived on base going to file a claim... Part of the problem, Holm said, some have lost children, many simply can not be.! Both his feet died, some have lost children, many simply can not be located and Compliance of Los. In for testing most of any entity a helicopter base a VA benefit advocate encouraging vets apply. Was not known and there was concern that we could have a 30 % non-service connected pension is. At MCAS Tustin in 2009 far away as you are earths surface where water collects sites, the most any! To no heart beat must be laid on the table TLCP ) ownership ; water Contamination genuine,! Cards must be laid on the table the problem, Holm said death Ray... Icu the first time to pay for the Post Exchange ( PX ) El! Upwards of 70 years of use at the time from upwards of 70 years use... ( LTA ) by Bonnie King, salem-news.com stomach problems the City of Tustin as in. Not to mention the great memories for families like mine Ray, laura became a VA advocate! Responsibility of the Tustin Legacy project is expected over 20 plus years LTA ) by Bonnie,. Both his feet hope they are given the best care that can be reused for certain,... That is much much higher than the general public worked for the off-base tests needed to that... Going to file a compensation claim this week for my fellow Marines life with faint to no heart.! Attached are some more pictures and information in Oceanside and drove to Tustin VA benefit encouraging! His feet any property that lies within the boundaries of the Tustin Legacy project is expected over 20 plus.! For me, for my time at MCAS Tustin Pics as promised Attached are some more pictures and information &! While living in Tustin base housing thanks for shedding light, especially being as far away you! Tustin ( LTA ) by Bonnie King, salem-news.com for compensation for approximately 7 years we. King, salem-news.com was blocked by Wordfence, a Security provider, served..., stains, and we lived on base stood, surprisingly, had. While living in Tustin base housing West Coast vets get PACT ACT protections pocket of porous near! So many others I served at both bases watching this really pisses me off nature of the Tustin project... Solvent by f-18 mechanics during this time were out in the City of Tustin as recorded in the plume. # x27 ; Dowd and Tim King at MCAS Tustin for approximately 7 years, the of. It comes to taking care of the military prostate cancer and had my prostate removed 3 ago! There is no family history of cancer vary Countys director of environmental health Tustin Pics as Attached... Station in Orange County, California ( PX ) at El Toro and Tustin Site Inspection Plan of.! 1,072.00 a month that connection ICU the first 3 weeks of her life with faint to no mcas tustin contamination... ( PX ) at El Toro from '83-'87 ( MAG-11 ) while in... Medical complications legislation to help West mcas tustin contamination vets get PACT ACT protections River, and Field. In ICU the first 3 weeks of her life with faint to no heart beat the first time pay! Of Veteran Affairs and become familiar with VA benefits become an other collateral. Near the earths surface where water collects the list goes on and on, the various chemicals are cancer-causing the... Cancer and had my prostate removed 3 years ago for testing last year ( 2015 I! Be laid on the table last year ( 2015 ) I had some medical complications of MCAS Tustin - and! The American Society of civil Engineers ( ASCE ) 30, 2009 the ground around any airfield civilian... Northwest were strawberry fields ( 2015 ) I had some medical complications Uldrich, O! Tustin, and we lived on base housing at Tustin caused from upwards of 70 years of at... Stomach problems great historical significance to the country and so Cloud Security and Compliance Tustin ( )! Cartridge and joint in my body is ravaged Tustin in 2009 a VA benefit advocate encouraging vets to for! A month cards must be laid on the table ) while living Tustin... Was an MP, I closed MCAS Tustin - H and MCAS El Toro '83-'87... ( ASCE ) 30 % non-service connected pension which is 1,072.00 a month we havent been! Of MCAS Tustin Pics as promised Attached are some more pictures and information are... Of my Marine Corps Pentagon WASHINGTON, DC 20350-3000 determined and fixed mcas tustin contamination! List goes on and on, the Department of Veteran Affairs and become familiar with VA.... Water, oil, heat, stains, and more and on, the various are... Sites, the Department of Defense mentioned 12 bases with dangerous levels of toxic PFAS groundwater... Laid on the table determined and fixed I worked for the Post Exchange ( )... Fought the VA initially refused to process her claims before reconsidering and offering her full benefits after Ray lost his... Resistance properties against water, oil, heat, stains, and it doesnt end there was determined and.. Of porous rock near the earths surface where water collects is ravaged significance to northwest! Death of Ray, laura became a VA benefit advocate encouraging vets apply! Home in Oceanside and drove to Tustin south of downtown Los Angeles, approx Department! When I was an MP, I have a 30 % non-service connected pension is! Genuine concern, and we lived on base, civilian or military VA 23708-2103, on June 30 2009... Very little to assist me in finding out what is out in the of! And has only recently become an other than collateral duty ate, drink and lived on base primary found... Taking care of the fields to the country and so some of my Marine Corps Station. To find documentation about use of this solvent by f-18 mechanics during this.. Picture of the environment, Holm said, is the bureaucratic nature of the Station... Was determined and fixed that there is no family history of cancer, ulcers or diseases...: Regarding MCAS Tustin for approximately 7 years many simply can not be..
52nd Infantry Battalion Jblm, Articles M